This section is incomplete and outdated. Expect a new version by 6th April 15
I am currently a third year PhD student at UCL. My research is focused on exoplanets.
3rd Year PhD Student (Astronomy)
September 2012 – Present, University College London
- Working on processing observations of exoplanets using data analysis and signal processing to disentangle the signal from the noise and instrument systematics.
- Simulating transmission / emission spectroscopy observations with future instruments
MSci Natural Sciences, Astrophysics and Molecular and Cell Biology, First Class Honours
2008 – 2012, University College London
College (A Levels)
2006 – 2008, Stockton Sixth Form College
Maths (A), Physics (A), Chemistry (A), Biology (A), Critical Thinking AS (A)
January 2011 – present, Self
Worked on sites including:
Including design, development, and hosting (including the setup of the VPS used to host).
I created a couple of sections (EU Cookie Compliance and Featured Picture Boxes) that were sold in the pagelines (V2) store and written in php. These were not fully ported to DMS (V3) version of the software after a farce with the store after the new upgrade and loosing faith in PageLines with DMS (which took the V2 market offline with the launch of DMS).
I created many more sections using Pagelines for sites I worked on that were customised to the site and were not sold before I moved to static site generation using jekyll for the new versions of ryanvarley.uk and Giant Sweets.
Writer, Web Designer and Developer
January 2011 – July 2012, MacGazette & Tech Choices
IT Consultant (part time)
2009 – 2011, Select Financial Solutions North East
- Web Design & Development
- Linux / server management (CentOS, Ubuntu, Apache, Nginx)
- Data Analysis
- Software Development
- Big Data
- Unit Testing
Languages / Markups
Interests and Activities
- Making life easier with code (see my GitHub page)
- Web Design and Development (see
- Astronomy, Physics, Technology and Biology
You can contact me on my personal email at [email protected]